Although John Shields has written several cookbooks on Mid-Atlantic cooking, this is by far his best one. It was released as a companion book for the PBS cooking show which he hosted. he is the owner and operator of the restaurant Gertrude’s named for his grandmother who introduced him to Mid-Atlantic cuisine. He also has his own blog and website at: http://thenewchesapeakekitchen.blogspot.com/
The book deals mostly with coastal cuisine but touches on a few of the dishes found in the Alleghenies as well, but its main influence are the Chesapeake Bay. For Mid-Atlantic seafood recipes, this is a great resource and a must have in your kitchen, if you are interested in traditional Mid-Atlantic fare. The TV show is also available on DVD on Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/Coastal-Cuisine-John-Shields-Chesapeake/dp/B001AZV1IO/ref=sr_1_1?s=movies-tv&ie=UTF8&qid=1359498139&sr=1-1&keywords=Chesapeake+Bay+Cooking
The series is really well done and actually takes John out of the kitchen and all around the Chesapeake Bay region to gather recipes from native people who have produced this cuisine and maintain its traditions to this day. Anyone interested in this style of cooking, the book and the show will be a valuable addition to your collection.
Some of the dishes are more modern than the original or classic dish, but this just shows the evolution of the style of cooking and where it may soon be heading in the future. There are some great stories included in the series and in the book as well as interesting facts about modern influence on the dish.
While the book is not all inclusive when it comes to Mid-Atlantic cuisine, it does a great job in giving a cross section of Chesapeake cooking and offers a fantastic variety of recipes for several dishes, including all of the usual classics and some less famous, but locally known dishes.
- Maryland Crab Cakes Online Provides Nutritional Guide to Chesapeake Bay Blue Crab Crabcakes (prweb.com)
- Philadelphia Pepper Pot Soup (midatlanticcooking.wordpress.com)
- Bill advances to limit catch of menhaden (virginiabusiness.com)
- Scrapple (midatlanticcooking.wordpress.com)
- Black Walnut Cake (midatlanticcooking.wordpress.com)
- Plungers Brave The Frigid Waters Of The Chesapeake Bay (eyeonannapolis.net)
- Chesapeake Bay Trust (winkellychevrolet.wordpress.com)
- Bonnie Raitt To Headline Chesapeake Bay Blues Festival (eyeonannapolis.net)
- Be the Bay Celebrates Five Years (prweb.com)
- Voluntary conservation approaches working in Chesapeake Bay region (southeastfarmpress.com)